Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine


5/5
My copy of Ella Enchanted has a peeling spine and dog-eared pages from all the times I've re-read it. You'd think that a retelling of such a popular fairytale would have gotten old after...oh, the 19th or so rereading. But Ella Enchanted told the Cinderella story in such an innovative way that I couldn't help but be drawn to the book again and again. Levine truly makes the characters come alive. I found myself rooting for Ella page after page as she struggled with Dame Olga and her daughters Hattie and Olive. Every character had a personality - even the usually faceless prince. The addition of creatures like ogres and elves just served to add to the magic of the story. If you enjoy a story with twists and turns, a story full of wonderful descriptions and witty repartee, then I heartily urge you to pick up a copy of Ella Enchanted today!

-Lucia

No comments: